Thursday 24 November 2016

Shopping, Brodders and smelly fish

We can't quite believe we have been back for almost a week, it is funny how quickly the... how can I put it... "quirks" of living aboard become normality again, like the lack of decent bed, digging in lockers for clothes and just about everything other, donning jackets and hats for the walk across the icy car park to the clubhouse for an early morning shower. I'm painting them in a much worse light than need be, we honestly don't think twice about it after being back aboard for more than a few hours. 
Northern Lights in Bjarkoy



We were both really pleased to have got in a little excursion to nearby island Bjarkoy and spend a few nights there, we had never thought we would have the weather to get out and around at this time of year, being the only leisure boat around too makes it all the more special. We took note on our journey back of a few possible fishing grounds and hope to exploit that as much as possible too over the coming weeks, its cod season in Northern Norway and free food is always good! The disadvantage of fishing is the cooking, cooking fish in such a small area as the boat as we have learnt very well from previous experience gives the boat an interesting odour, I've never noticed "Febreeze: Fish Room Spray" before, but hey I might be on to a winner, don't pinch my idea Febreeze!! Nonetheless the smell really hangs about, so we in general try to bbq fish which might be more tricky at this time of year... We have been kindly allowed use of the clubroom for cooking, but don't plan to subject them to that either! 



If only you could see us now, we are sprightly skipping through the icy paths with all the agility of a nimble mountain goat! Well, not quiet, but we have managed to half our time on the "commute" to Harstad now we have Brodders (spikes on the bottom of our shoes), we are a little concerned on there durability but while they last they certainly are helping! 


Watching from the warmth of the wheelhouse today we saw some of the boat club guys set up some Christmas lights, looks great! Christmas has certainly reached the shops too with Christmas decorations on sale in ever window, something we have never seen before is Christmas lights designed to be hung from flagpoles... It would be fair to say that almost ever house and many businesses have a flagpole outside and proudly fly the Norwegian flag so its no wonder that these lights are popular, I doubt you could sell more than a handful in the UK though! 
Christmas decorations at sea, a coloured water spray


Shops here are preparing for Black Friday sales, I doubt we will be seeing the insane crowd sizes like in America though, presuming that to be the case we will likely make our way in to town tomorrow. I'm afraid we aren't really chasing any bargains; no room for a 65 inch tv but just buying a few cans of chopped tomatoes and a packet of chips for the weekend! 
Christmas lights at the Marina

A few hours well spent in Harstad Library
Shopping in Norway is quite different to what we are used with in the UK, and for this comparison sake I'm going to use the mainland UK (Papay Co-op is too special to compare!). The main supermarkets like Rema 1000, Coop, Kiwi etc which I guess are the equivalent of a Tesco, Coop or Asda don't sell the same kinds of things. Supermarkets here are grocery stores, there will be maybe one or two (literally) electronic items which tends to be maybe a food processor and a vaccum, if you want the kind of electronics you would usually buy in a British supermarket you have to go to an electronic store. They really are about groceries here, with the exception of lightbulbs and wool... I'm not sure why but they all seem to stock an amazingly large selection of wool. Plastic bags like in Scotland are bought for the equivalent of 10p and are actually very thick and last a lot of shops. Alcohol over 5% as mentioned before are only sold in the state run liquor stores, so last minute bottles of wine etc are out of the question. Shops are generally closed on Sundays with the exception of some of the much smaller grocery stores. Everything we have bought here has been very tasty, own brand produce is great quality and most things seem to avoid the high numbers of added E numbers etc you find in a lot of the food in the UK. Having been here now for so many months we have got used to these changes in shopping habits and actually found it strange being back in the UK shops.
Beyond shopping though we still have a lot to learn and appreciate, bring it on! ☺

4 comments:

  1. Greetings from the south of Norway! I enjoy reading your blogs. I used to drive up to the north regularly, so I know the area quite well. If you manage to scrape together enough money to go to a restaurant, I would recommend the Egon, in the Harstad Thon Hotel in the centre of town. When will you be heading home? If you are planning to be in VesterĂ¥len I would recommend dropping in on Nyksund, on the northwest coast. It is an old fishing village, deserted for years, but now being slowly resettled.

    I am from Orkney myself, with a grandfather from Papey. He was a Groat from Quoys. I came to Norway nearly 40 years ago, and now I am retired in Holmstrand, 80 km south of Oslo.

    Good luck on the rest of your trip - Stewart Miller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart,
      Thank you very much for reading our blog! It is lovely to hear of readers in Norway, even more lovely when they came from Orkney!! I've set my Granny on to the family tree explanation, are we right in thinking Betty and David might be your parents?
      We have walked passed the Egon many times, we were hoping to save some money for having a meal out near Christmas, so hopefully can follow your suggestion. All being well we don't plan to return to the UK until the end of the cruising season next year so around the end of summer 2017. When we start moving on from here next year we will include Nyksund in the itinerary! As we are sure you already know there is just so many places to go!

      Great to hear from you and thank you for the tips
      Amanda

      Delete
    2. Hei Amanda!

      Yes, you are correct - my parents were Betty and Davie. You will know then that Betty was a first cousin of Chrissie o' Whitehowe. As far as I can remember, you will be a far out relation (anybody with a Papey connection is related!) - I think your grandmother will be a fourth cousin. I seem to remember my mother talking about Cissie Davidson being a third cousin anyhow, which would make your grandmother and me a step further out.

      I hope you enjoy your winter up there - I am not a big fan of the blackout in December/January, but it is an experience! Where I live is almost exactly the same latitude as Orkney, so the lightness/darkness is the same.

      I will try and send you some pictures from Nysund - which I took in the end of May 3 years ago. See what you think.

      Stewart.

      Delete
    3. Yes, quite correct - Betty and Davie were my parents. Betty was a first cousin of Chrissie o' Whitehowe, and related to just about everybody with Papey connections. We will be be far out relations as well - I remember Mother telling me that she was a third cousin of Cissie Davidson, who would be your great grandmother, I believe?

      I tried to send a reply many hours ago, and I only discovered now that it hadn't gone through. I mentioned that I would send you a few photos of Nyksund which I took 3 years ago. You have probably got them already. I see that winter has at last come to the North - it is high time. Enjoy yourselves!

      Stewart

      Delete