Saturday 13 February 2016

Vikings, Puffins and clangers!

Yesterday while Daniel made his way south to Orkney, to assist his mother for a few weeks, people were heading to Uyeasound. Uyeasound is a small village in the south of Unst, and at this time of year is annually home to Uyeasound Up Helly Aa!

A sunny mostly dry day, it seemed perfect for the evenings events, I took the opportunity to walk around Baltasound during the day having heard snow and rain were on there way for the next few days.

This was my first Up Helly Aa, having missed the bigger Up Helly Aa in Lerwick a few weeks ago there was still luckily the smaller local ones to come. 

Up Helly Aa is an annual fire festival marking the end of yule and is celebrated throughout Shetland. I'm afraid I through my own admission knew very little about it, with nothing similar held in Orkney it had just skipped me by for some years. 

I made my way down to Uyeasound really having no idea what to expect. Following on from some fireworks the village came alive with hundreds of Guizers, led by the Jarl with fire lit torces, they marched singing and shouting past the crowds watching, dressed in everything from viking costumes to nuns, puffins, spacemen and even the clangers! 

On their return they throw their torches setting the galley (replica viking longship) ablaze! Quite a sight!! 

With Norwick (A village in the North of Unst) holding there Up Helly Aa in a few weeks we will soon be used to them!

 sorry for the poor photo quality!


No comments:

Post a Comment